Cole Palmer transfer return clause truth after KDB confirms Man City exit
Chelsea star Cole Palmer has been linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge - and rumours of a return to Manchester City may increase after Kevin De Bruyne departs.
This article contains affiliate links, which means we will receive commission on any sale of products or services we write. Learn more
Manchester City have not got many player sales wrong in recent years, but Cole Palmer's to Chelsea might be one which continues to come back and haunt them.
The Manchester-born Academy graduate has risen swiftly, from a promising young star to one of English football's best attackers in recent seasons. Palmer has gone on to score 39 goals for Chelsea, despite mainly playing for them as an attacking midfielder.
Few players have risen to prominence in such a dramatic fashion in the Premier League.
Palmer's displays have played a key role in Chelsea's top-four challenge this season - even if his form has dropped off somewhat in recent months. Ultimately, he remains a key player for club and country.
The 22-year-old's minor decline has led to the west London club also entering a rut, although Enzo Maresca's side did earn a vital win over rivals Tottenham Hotspur on Thursday night. Nevertheless, transfer rumours have been circulating around Palmer for several months and they might now grow after City star Kevin De Bruyne announced his impending exit this summer with a bombshell social media statement.
But while Palmer leaving Stamford Bridge is a potential scenario one day, journalist Ben Jacobs has already hinted there should be no immediate concern about him leaving, even if Chelsea end the season poorly. Indeed, he has claimed that Palmer - nor any other Chelsea player for that matter - has a clause in their contract that allows them to depart if Champions League qualification is not obtained.
Guardiola has, also, previously defended City's decision to sell Palmer, claiming that the Englishman was asking to leave the club for two years before he eventually joined Chelsea.
"In pre-season I said stay because Riyad [Mahrez] has gone and he said; 'no, I want to leave'," said Guardiola in April 2024. "After two seasons, what could I say?"
Ultimately, it's understood that City and Chelsea didn't include a buy-back clause in their deal to trade Palmer - so on the proviso they ever wish to re-sign him then they will have to submit an offer like any other club.
Manchester City wrapped up the 2023/24 season with a fourth successive Premier League title, but they missed out on another Treble with defeat in the FA Cup final and Champions League quarter-finals. It's now time for Pep Guardiola and co to turn their attention to the transfer window.
Our MEN team of City experts will be on top of all the goings-on at the Etihad this summer and beyond, and you can get the latest updates and inside information to your phone by joining our new free WhatsApp community. You can also join the 40,000 (and growing!) band of Blues fans who are following our WhatsApp channel.
--
We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice.
Here at The Manchester Evening News, we're dedicated to bringing you the best Manchester City coverage and analysis.
Make sure you don't miss out on the latest City news by joining our free WhatsApp group. You can get the club's breaking news and best analysis sent straight to your phone by clicking here to subscribe.
Article continues below
You can also subscribe to our free newsletter service. Click here to be sent all the day's biggest stories.
And, finally, if you'd rather listen to our expert analysis then make sure to check out our Talking City podcast. Our shows are available on all podcast platforms, including Spotify and Apple Podcasts, and you can also watch along on YouTube.