Russell Brand Breaks Silence on Rape, Sexual Assault Charges - E! Online
After Russell Brand was charged with one count of rape and two counts of sexual assault by London’s Metropolitan Police, the comedian has shared a refuting response.
Watch : Russell Brand Charged With Rape and Sexual Assault
Russell Brand is denying his charges.
After London’s Metropolitan Police charged the comedian with one count of rape, two counts of sexual assault and one count of indecent assault for events that transpired between 1999 and 2005, he shared a lengthy statement denying any wrongdoing.
“I've always told you guys that when I was young and single, before I had my wife and family, who were just about a shot over there, my beautiful children, I was a fool, man,” he explained in a video shared to X April 4. “I was a fool before I lived in the light of the Lord. I was a drug addict, a sex addict and an imbecile, but what I never was was a rapist.”
Despite previously admitting that he did not “always treat women well” in an essay for The Guardian published two years after the last alleged incident occurred, Brand—who shares three kids with wife Laura Brand—emphasized that he “never engaged in non-consensual activity.”
read
Russell Brand Charged With Rape and Sexual Assault
“I pray that you can see that by looking in my eyes,” he continued in his video. “I want to thank all of you for your continuing support.”
And ahead of his May 2 court appearance regarding the charges—which regard alleged incidents with four separate women—Brand expressed he was “grateful” to “have the opportunity to defend these charges in court.”
Britain's Crown Prosecution Service confirmed April 4 that Brand had been given his charges after authorities investigated allegations against the Forgetting Sarah Marshall actor laid out in 2023 reporting by Channel 4 and the Sunday Times in addition to reports made directly to the police.
Jeff Spicer/Getty Images
“The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers,” Metropolitan Police Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy, who is leading the investigation, said in a statement. “The Met's investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.”
In January, Brand addressed sexual allegations made by the British media outlets and said that his prior “promiscuity” was “exploitative,” but not criminal.
“There’s no question that that is sinful behavior that hurts people,” he said in a post shared to his social media accounts at the time. “But what happened in this liminal space is that behavior got metastasized and reformed retrospectively into criminal conduct by competing media companies.”
For free, confidential help, call the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-4673 or visit rainn.org.