Russell Brand breaks silence after he's charged with rape
The comedian and actor issued a statement on X denying the charges ahead of his court appearance next month
Russell Brand has broken his silence after being charged with a series of sexual offences including rape over a seven-year period.
The Metropolitan Police confirmed the comedian and actor had been charged after an investigation began in 2023 following reporting by Channel 4's Dispatches and The Sunday Times.
‌
Article continues below
The comedian and actor, 49, has been charged with one count of rape, one count of indecent assault, one count of oral rape and two counts of sexual assault.
Read more Russell Brand charged with rape and other sexual offences
In a video posted to X he denied the alleged crimes. Brand said: "I've always told you guys that when I was young and single, before I had my wife and family...I was a fool.
‌
"I was a fool before I lived in the light of the lord. I was a drug addict, a sex addict and an imbocile.
"But what I never was was a rapist. I've never engaged in non consensual activity."
Brand thanked people for their support and said he was grateful to have the opportunity to defend the charges in court.
‌
The Metropolitan Police said the charges relate to four separate women between 1999 and 2005.
He is charged with the rape of a woman in 1999 in the Bournemouth area and the oral rape and sexual assault of a woman in 2004 in the Westminster area of London.
He has also been charged with indecently assaulting a woman in 2001 and sexually assaulting another woman between 2004 and 2005, both alleged offences said to have taken place in Westminster, London.
‌
Brand will appear at Westminster Magistrates' Court on May 2.
Detective Superintendent Andy Furphy said: "The women who have made reports continue to receive support from specially trained officers.
"The Met's investigation remains open and detectives ask anyone who has been affected by this case, or anyone who has any information, to come forward and speak with police.
Article continues below
"A dedicated team of investigators is available via email at CIT@met.police.uk.
"Support is also available by contacting the independent charity, Rape Crisis at 24/7 Rape and Sexual Abuse Support Line."